Title: Community Organizer
Schedule Type: Full-time (Exempt, Salary position)
Location: Office located in Anaheim, CA. Requires travel throughout Greater Los Angeles Area.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop organizing campaigns around key advocacy and civil rights issues
- Represent CAIR-LA in coalition meetings and work collaboratively on joint efforts with community organizations and coalition partners
- Develop strategic partnerships with community-based organizations working in diverse communities in Southern California
- Speak publicly on behalf of CAIR-LA at rallies, town halls and mosque events
- Develop, conduct, and widely publicize Know Your Rights trainings that promote grassroots leadership, strategic issue campaigns, organizing, and coalition building on priority issue areas
- Galvanize support of community organizations, public officials, law enforcement officers, faith leaders, business leaders, donors, and new and diverse communities for organizing campaigns
- Work collaboratively with grassroots leaders, allies, and CAIR-LA advocacy team to execute large and effective community actions (public hearings, protests, vigils, etc.)
- Identify, cultivate, and develop strong community leaders who will lead campaigns that pursue CAIR-LA’s advocacy and civil rights priorities
- Identify, recruit, and train CAIR-LA volunteers to participate in civil liberties and social justice campaigns and programs
- Coordinate and execute Voter Registration, GOTV and Ballot Initiative campaigns in affiliate areas
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or four years of experience in base building, membership
- Experience in community organizing
- Experience in base building, volunteer recruitment, and leadership and strategy development
- Passion for CAIR’s mission and values
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation, organizing, and communication skills
- Ballot initiative or electoral campaign experience highly preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Self-directed individual, strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple ongoing initiatives
- Familiarity, knowledge and experience working with the American Muslim community
- Work experience with a non-profit organization or in a related field
- Willingness and flexibility to change job requirements as the team grows
- Valid automobile driver’s license and working vehicle required; this position will involve extensive travel throughout the Greater Los Angeles Area. Must be able to accommodate a variable work schedule including nights and weekends.
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
- Generous benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, pension matching program, holidays, vacation, and sick leave
Please send (1) a cover letter, (2) resume, (3) three references to: [email protected] with the subject line “Community Organizer.”
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CAIR-CA is an equal opportunity employer.