A critical member of the Development & Communications team, the Manager of Major Gifts reports to the Vice President of Development and Communications and is responsible for cultivating, stewarding, and expanding relationships with a multi-faceted portfolio of individual donors. The Manager works with the VP and CEO to raise a $1M+ individual giving budget line item that is slated for significant growth over the next five years. The Manager also works with the VP to find unique ways to engage current and prospective funders as well as to create a long-term pipeline for individual major donor ($1K+) engagement. The top candidate should be extremely personable, have excellent public speaking skills, and be comfortable talking to both large groups and individuals. S/he will be responsible for front line fundraising with donors at various levels and will manage her/his own portfolio of 125+ prospects. S/he will supervise a Development Operations Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities to include but not limited to:
- Meet annual revenue line item budget for individual giving at the $1K+ level, with an emphasis on expansion and diversification
- Cultivate and steward relationships to build visibility, impact, and financial resources for the organization
- Manage a specific portfolio of donors and prospects at various levels of giving capacity and support the VP, CEO, and Board in the management of their portfolios
- Develop a shared strategy, along with the VP and CEO, to guide all individual major gift programs, including planned giving and lapsed donor outreach; develop short- and long-term strategic goals, including timelines and budget; assess areas for growth and provide leadership in the launching of new initiatives
- Play a key strategic role in developing systems for donor identification, solicitation, tracking, and upgrading, including the planning of tailored giving opportunities, donor events, and activities throughout the year
- Work with VP to develop and implement strategy, messaging, and timeline for a 2018-2021 major gift/growth campaign; develop sustainability plan with benchmarks to match major gift revenue growth to organization scaling efforts
- Lead Skid Row and center tours, as well as other donor activation events/experiences
- Manage donor recognition and retention program
- Write compelling outreach and thank you letters and other donor communication collateral
- Support quarterly Development Committee meetings and ongoing cultivation activities
- Use Raiser’s Edge/RENXT to track all data related to individual donor pool
- Review all giving data, create monthly status reports and identify trends and successes related to new initiatives.
- Conduct donor thank-you calls
- Supervise the Development Operations Coordinator in the maintenance of the donor database (Raiser’s Edge/RENXT)
- Provide general support to the Development & Communications department as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or equivalent experience required
- 3+ years working in a key function within a fundraising department, preferably managing individual donors
- A proven ability to establish, maintain, and deepen relationships that contribute to the increasing visibility, impact, and financial resources of an organization over time
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of Raiser’s Edge/RE NXT, strongly preferred
- Computer skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Detail-oriented, highly organized strategic thinker; able to set and meet goals and deadlines
- Motivated, independent self-starter with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in establishing and maintaining confidentiality and good working relationships
- Valid California Driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Commitment to the organizational mission and sensitivity to the needs of low-income and disenfranchised populations
This is an exciting position in a fast-paced organization. We offer a highly competitive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short and Long Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Parking/Transit Accounts, paid time off, paid holidays, and more.
Chrysalis encourages employment applications from people who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities Chrysalis serves. Chrysalis is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls or drop-ins regarding this position please. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.